What Is Active Listening?
Active listening requires you to listen attentively to a speaker, understand what they’re saying, respond and reflect on what’s being said, and retain the information for later. This keeps both listener and speaker actively engaged in the conversation.
Becoming an Active Listener
1. Pay Attention: look at the speaker directly, avoid being distracted
2. Show That You're Listening: nod occasionally, smile and encourage the speaker to continue
3. Ask questions like: 'What I'm hearing is... ,' and 'Sounds like you are saying... ,'
4. Don't interrupt: allow the speaker to finish each point before asking questions
5. Respond Appropriately: active listening is designed to encourage respect and understanding.
Video creator: What's Your Story?
Speakdating c’est dores-et-déjà plus de 1 000 activités et leçons,
plus de 40 000 exercices, là tout prêts, dans votre poche.