The video discusses the dream of owning a home and the challenges people face due to high prices and the difficulty of saving for a deposit.
It mentions that in the 1990s, home ownership was more affordable, but now it takes around 7.8 times the average worker's yearly salary in England to own a home. The video introduces the concept of shared ownership as an alternative way to buy a home.
Shared ownership involves buying a percentage of a property and paying a deposit and mortgage on your share while renting the rest. Over time, you can usually buy more shares, up to 100%. A housing association owns the other share but doesn't interfere with your decisions or when you choose to sell. Shared ownership is available for individuals or those with combined earnings below certain thresholds.
The video also mentions a shared ownership scheme for older individuals. Overall, shared ownership offers a more affordable path to home ownership.
• Dream: A cherished aspiration or desire; something hoped for or wished for.
• Ownership: The state or fact of possessing something; the right to possess and use property.
• Flight: The act or process of flying through the air; a journey or voyage through the air.
• Bricks: Rectangular blocks of baked clay used in building construction.
• Privacy: The state or condition of being free from public attention or observation; the right to keep one's personal affairs confidential.
• Pancakes: Thin, flat cakes made from batter and cooked on a griddle or frying pan; often served for breakfast.
• Deposit: A sum of money placed or kept in a bank account, usually for safekeeping or as a down payment.
• Mortgage: A loan obtained to purchase real estate, with the property itself serving as collateral for the loan.
• Share: A portion or part of a whole; a division or distribution of something.
• Open market: A market where goods or services are bought and sold without restrictions or government control.
• Housing association: An organization or entity that provides housing and related services to its members or clients, often in the form of affordable housing.
• Sibling: A brother or sister; a person's brother or sister.
Source: The guardian labs