Created by First Nations of the Pacific west, totem poles are monuments that represent and commemorate ancestry, history, people or events.
They are usually made of red cedar, a malleable wood that is relatively abundant in the area.
Discover the story of totem poles through this PBS series on Native America.
• Embody - To represent in a physical form; to incarnate or personify.
• Kinship - Relation by blood or commonalities.
• Equate - To consider equal, to state as being equivalent.
• Carvers - A person who does carving.
• Sensitized - Become sensitive to.
• Great-grandparents - The parents of grandparents.