Answering the phone
• Hello. Michelle here. (caller unknown) (informal)
• Hi, John. How are you ? (informal)
• Hey, Sally. What's up ? (informal)
• Hello ? David speaking. (caller unknown)
• B&B's office. How can I help you ?
• Thank you for calling Business & Co. Tom speaking.
• Hey Richard. It's Sally calling. (informal)
• Hello, this is Michelle Wilkinson calling.
• Hi. It's John from B&B's office here. (informal)
• Hello. This is Alan calling from B&B.
Asking to speak with someone
• Hi, Is Sally there ? (informal)
• Can you put Michelle on ? (informal)
• May I speak to Rob David in the marketing department, please ?
• Good morning. Is Dr Mason available, please ?
• Just a sec. I'll get him. (informal)
• One moment please. I'll see if he's available.
• Hold the line please. I'll put you through in a moment.
• Please hold while I put you through to the manager's office.
Making a request
• Could you please repeat that ?
• Would you mind spelling that for me ?
• Could you speak up a little, please ?
• Would you mind calling back in an hour ? I'm in a meeting just now.
• Please hold for just a minute. I have another call.
Taking a message
• Can I take a message ?
• Would you like to leave a message ?
• No, that's okay, I'll call him later. (informal)
• I'm sorry, but Sally's not here at the moment. Can I take a message ?
• She's busy right now. Would you like her to return your call ?
Leaving a message
• Can I leave a message ?
• Would you mind giving her a message ?
• Could you tell her John called ?
• Could you ask him to call Sam when he gets in ?
• Thanks. It's James and my number is 555 8733.
Ending a conversation
• Thanks for calling. Bye for now.
• I have to let you go now.
• I have another call coming through. I'd better run.
• I'm afraid that's my other line.
• I'll talk to you again soon. Bye.