The Do’s and Don’ts of Pumpkin Carving:
1. Carve from the bottom. That way you have the stem to hold onto and you can easily slip the pumpkin right over a candle or flashlight.
2. Hold the pumpkin in your lap to carve. You will have a much steadier pumpkin to cut.
3. Use a red dry erase marker to sketch your design. It erases easily and if you miss a spot, it blends in.
4. Use a hand mixer to clean out your pumpkin.
5. Use special pumpkin carving cookie cutters and a rubber mallet to carve your design. If you have heavy duty regular cookie cutters, those will work too!
6. Cover all cut surfaces with Vaseline to keep the pumpkin moist after carving. Pumpkins should last 1-2 weeks when carved!
7. Sprinkle some cinnamon on the inside of your pumpkin for that festive pumpkin spice smell when a candle is lit inside the pumpkin.