Palmares was a quilombo, a community of escaped slaves and others, in colonial Brazil that was founded in 1605 and suppressed in 1694. Colonizers sought not only to destroy Palmares but to expunge its existence from historical record for fear that it would incite future slave rebellions.
• Expansive - Able to be expanded.
• Settlement - A place or region where people have recently started to live.
• Maroon - To abandon in a remote or deserted island.
• Mainly - Forcefully.
• Biased - Exhibiting partiality.
• Cassava - the source of tapioca.
• Crafted - to make by hand.
• Trade - the action of buying and selling goods and services.
• Seize - to deliberately take hold of.
• Captives - Persons held prisoner.
• Escalate - increase rapidly.
• Rule - to reign.
• Line - to form a line.
• Swallow - cause or allow (something, especially food or drink) to pass down the throat.
• Unsuspecting - lacking doubt, trusting.
• Counterattacks - an attack made in response to one by an opponent.
• Elude - Evade or escape.
• Pledge - To make a solemn promise.
• Dissent - hold or express opinions that are at variance with those commonly or officially held.
• Ambushed - make a surprise attack on (someone) from a concealed position.
• Warfare - Engagement in or the activities involved in war or conflict.
• Crushing - Overwhelming, adding pressure.
• Rallied - come together again in order to continue fighting after a defeat or dispersion.
• Persist - to continue stubbornly or determinedly.